Dear Design Candidate
I got a great list of screening questions from a firm that are worth sharing. Here's what you can expect in the first round of an interview for a design position in 2018.
- How many years of Design experience do you have?
- How many years of Mobile Design? iOS? Android?
- Do you consider yourself a Visual Designer or an Interaction Designer?
- What kind of design projects interest you?
- What's your dream/ideal job?
- What do you think are the most important qualities in a designer?
- Can you tell me about your design process?
- You are told to create a design without any instructions. What do you do?
- How do you deal with difficult teammates that you have to work with?
- How do you handle criticism?
- What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?
- Give me an example of a project where you disagreed with the stakeholder or client’s direction and tell me how you handled it.
- What has been the most interesting project you have worked on and why was it interesting to you?
- How would you explain the benefit of a user-centered design approach to a project manager who is not familiar with it?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a web style guide?
- What was your biggest mistake and how did you correct it?
I'll be answering these in subsequent posts (to the extent that they're sharable answers).